Sunday, July 27, 2008

Prayer Request

Day two of family vacation in Aruba, I decided to take a walk. When I returned to the pool deck I approached yellow caution tape that engulfed the area that our family had been lounging. Instant panic mode set in when I saw a man lying on the ground, that was wearing the same swim trunks my father in law had on. I dove under the tape to discover it wasn't Avery, but a man that had suffered a heart attack in the lazy river.

Moments earlier he and his 14 year old son had enjoyed a game a tennis together. Now all I could focus on was the emotionless face of this boy watching his fathers life slip away.
My mother in law attempted mouth to mouth resuscitation and when his airways collapsed an intense emergency situation arose. A cardiac surgeon came to her aid and together they inserted a "trachea tube" by using what I believe was a pocket knife and a straw from the pool bar. When the ambulance finally arrived 20 minutes later it was evident that despite all of their strong efforts, the man did not survive.

Watching him being rolled away on the stretcher and his son right by his side, the paramedics passed his wife who then discovered all this commotion was geared towards her beloved. A wave of flashbacks began swirling in my mind of ten years back when I stood in that boys very shoes. I ask that you all keep him and his mother in your prayers.

Lord I pray that you place this boy under your wings and hold him close, for I feel if ever he needed to be engulfed by your love it's now. I pray that this tragedy helps him to know you as his heavenly father and that you will be the one to brush the tears from his solemn face. Lord please help him to feel the presence of you in his broken heart and know that his father is where we all hope to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will come together in agreement that God will lovingly wrap his arms around this family and they will feel His presence.

Amanda said...

I could not believe this story when you told me.I thought about it on my vacation how a woman had to leave without her husband.I cant even imagine and if I think about it too long, satan tries to get in my head. Im glad that Matts mom was there to help, what an honor to be able to step in like that. Im glad the rest of the vacation was good for you, you really need it. Lets start planning our weekend getaway :)