Monday, June 16, 2008

The Gift of Laughter

I believe that one of the best traits a person can have is the ability to make others laugh.
What I love most, is that laughter from one, often provokes laughter from another. It's contagious. You don't even need to have heard what was said. All you need to hear is the gleeful giggle of another to make you chuckle.

I learned today that there is a job out there I never knew existed. Gelotology...the study of humor and laughter, as well as the effects it has on the human body. Laughter is a gift I never before thought to pray for until now.

Last year I had the opportunity to partake in a medical mission trip to Costa Rica. While I was there I met Byron. Though he did not speak English and I did not speak Spanish, he became one of the most memorable parts of my trip. Why... we both play thumb wars and we both speak laughter. He made me smile, and left an everlasting memory in my heart. There are thousands of languages and hundreds of thousand of dialects, but this is universal.

So as I prepare to leave for Managua, Nicaragua, I will not only pray for the courage to share the Lord , but also my ability to make others laugh. After all, there is no better joy than the gift of laughter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3O8ML-LvSY

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I love it. I heard laughter adds 8 years to your life on a commercial last night. If thats true, I need to get to laughing. You make me laugh when you laugh, you have a great laugh :) Love ya

Nathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathan said...

Very well said, Rheagan.

Here are a couple of pictures of our little Costa Rican friend that make me laugh:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberandnathan/1103734726/in/set-72157601119909372/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberandnathan/1103734726/in/set-72157601119909372/

Unknown said...

Well we are in for a great ride to Atlanta because we seem to be able to make each other laugh pretty well!
A perfect example of friendship and even more laughter that came out of Nicaragua.
<3