Monday, August 18, 2008

Where the Streets Have No Name

Day one in Nicaragua took place in a dangerous neighborhood of Managua. We found ourselves surrounded by cheerful smiles and gleeful giggles coming from the local children who are privileged enough to attend The Christian Academy of Las Torres. Amongst all of the students was Asley Bermudez, the child that I sponsor. My first impression of her was fear. Not sure if that was directed at me or apart of her every day life, but my heart instantly reached for her and along came my arms. She kinda sat there with her arms by her side, not sure what to do with the fact that a total stranger was embracing her. As the hours of the day went by her frown was turned upward and before I knew it, she clung to me with her arms wrapped around my waist. Leaving her was my first taste of a sorrowed goodbye in Nicaragua. In some strange way I felt as if I was leaving a family member behind in a war zone.

Day two, we got the first taste of the love that we were to be surround with for the remainder of the week. Instantly we were greeted with the words Dios Le Bendiga (God Bless You), a hand shake from the men, and a hug and kiss from the women. After a quick game of "el pollo" the laughter had begun, the ice officially broken, and the clinic set and ready for the next day.

Over the next few days I began to truly fall in love with the people of Nicaragua. Never in my life have I met anyone with such passion for Christ and such servant hearts. Despite the language barrier we worked side by side and efficiently. I was able to watch the face of a woman who had been trying to get pregnant, receive the news that indeed she was. I watched Jeff (our PA) as he removed skin cancer from a mans arm, and photographed a woman who's knees were so badly bruised from falling to the ground in prayer. I was able to witness a woman receive clear sight for the first time and wondered if ever she had been able to read the words from a bible. I also heard the testimony of a woman who attends the church. Her husband abandoned her and their son Joel when they learned of his diagnosis with polio. The doctors did not think that Joel would live much longer. Not once has she lost faith or turned from the Lord. Instead she praised Him for the Life that they were able to share together, no matter how difficult. That Friday we were able to celebrate his 14th birthday. The children in the community treated me as if I were the president of the United States. All they wanted was to hug and kiss me, play with my hair and rub my back. I'm not just talking about one of them but all of them at the same time, to the point where you couldn't move because they engulfed you with their love. It was amazing. We had the opportunity to attend Thursday night Praise and Worship with the entire congregation. The energy from those people literally shook the foundation of this church. It was incredible.
72 patients gave their life to Christ last week.

I made true friends during that week. Not only with those that I came to Nicaragua with but also those that I had to leave behind. I cant remember ever feeling such sadness as when the time came to say goodbye. Tears fell like rain and the embrace of our goodbyes were strong. I did not want to go. As the bus filled with 20 gringos pulled away from the church, I looked back to see them all lined up against the iron rail waiving goodbye with tears in their eyes.

I am so honored to know Nathan and Amber, the full time missionaries that organized the entire week. The Lord truly out did himself whenever he created their hearts. They are simply inspiring, and I love them very much.

At this point I can only pray that God will reveal his will for my life. One thing is certain, I will soon find myself Where the Streets have no Name, even if only for another brief moment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! Thanks for writing this... you took the words right out of my heart. Oh how I wish there was a way to turn back time. I would savor every moment as though it were the first time I had ever experienced it. I am so glad to have shared both of my mission experiences with you and Bill and look forward to more. Especially for one day when you are our leader :) I love you so much.

Amanda said...

You painted a beautiful picture for those of us who were not there. Thank you. Im glad the Lord has called you to this and you have obeyed. Love you very much my sister :)

Anonymous said...

you are such an inspiration, Rheagan. This post makes me wish I would have been right there with you and Tiffany, with all those little arms surrounding in love. You have such a heart for the Lord and it just shines through! That's awesome that over 70 people were saved! Praise God!!!

Nathan said...

What a beautiful post Rheagan! You summed up why I love the Nicaraguans. You are the one with the big loving heart! Love ya girl! I Can't wait to see you!

Amber

Anonymous said...

um...you actually have to start blogging again!! we are going to be BFF's right! Amanda promised me, you cant back out on me now. i love ya girl and cant wait to live in yo city!! K Dub

Anonymous said...

Rheags,

Remember when you used to blog??

What the heck, girl??